Thursday, February 17, 2011

rest in peace

The week had been pretty difficult overall. My husband's cat, Griff, died two days ago. The last day with Griff was literally torture. We woke up to see that he was worse than ever. Last week he was throwing up a lot and I thought it was the new food that we got for him, so I got him some really expensive food. Well in his last few days he stopped eating altogether and would just sit with his face over the water bowl. His last day he couldn't even hold himself up and he was constantly crying. I sat on the floor with him for a few hours and just pet him and he would try to get up to get into my lap but would just fall over again. I wanted to pick him up to just hold him but he seemed to be in so much pain that I was afraid to do more than pet him. My husband was beside himself. He never cries. But seeing Griff like that just hit him so hard that he was crying.
So my husband decided that it was time and that we needed to have Griff put down. I had a major test at school that day and it was past time for me to leave so my husband said he'd take me to school and then come back for Griff. Well I was waiting to go in the car and my husband came outside crying so hard that he could barely talk and said that he couldn't leave Griff because he didn't think Griff would make it that long. So we called around town to several vet offices and finally found one that let us come in at short notice. So we bundled Griff up and took him to the vet.
It was horrible. I wanted to stay, to be there for Griff when it happened. In the car my husband was holding Griff, facing me and Griff watched me the whole drive there.
When we got there they already had a room ready for us and my husband sat in the room with Griff and then said that I had to leave. At that point I could care less about my test but he wouldn't say no for an answer. The only reason I agreed to leave was because I was honestly terrified of seeing it happen. So I gave Griff another few pets and then said my goodbye to him, letting him know that he was a great kitty and then fled the building before I broke down.
I don't know how I got to school in one piece, I was bawling my eyes out the entire way.
The whole time I took my test I was hating myself for being there. I think I might have passed, but anything beyond an average grade will be news to me.
I called my husband the second class got out and asked how things went. He said that they put him to sleep before administering the drug and I felt relieved about that. He said that Griff relaxed the moment he fell asleep, which is good. (He was tense and rigid before). He said the vet told him that it was Griff's time and that we giving Griff the biggest gift by taking away the pain.
This might sound silly, being so emotional over a cat. Griff lived for 16 years and was loved by many. He was a part of the family and I will miss him!
Each day it's been getting easier. My husband masks his emotions, but when I mention Griff, he still gets really quiet and I can tell he doesn't want to talk about it. I've been remembering the good times and the funny things that Griff did that make me smile and I realize that Griff wasn't that cat anymore. Griff lived well beyond his prime and I feel guilty for letting it go on so long. We were just in denial and weren't ready to let go of something we loved so much.
Sorry if this is depressing, I'm sure it is. I just need to get it out there.
                                                      Griff During the Good Days. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment